Statement of Intent for Design and Technology
Our School Vision
Our All Saints Family Shall Arise and Shine for the Light of the Lord is Upon Us.
“Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD rises upon you.”
The school vision underpins all decision making and school improvement planning and is designed to develop
aspirations and resilience so that everybody can ARISE.
At All Saints, we believe Design and Technology should give all children the skills and abilities to engage positively using creativity and imagination, with the designed and made world and to harness the benefits of technology.
- We deliver high quality teaching and learning opportunities that enable all children to develop the aspirations, confidence and resilience needed to shine and achieve their personal best.
- Our children work collaboratively and this provides opportunities to
Design and Technology gives all children the opportunity to develop skills, knowledge and understanding of the process of designing, making and evaluating functional products. We feel it is vital to nurture creativity and innovation through design and by exploring the designed and made world in which we all live and work.
- At All Saints, Design and Technology develops children’s skills and knowledge in design, structures, mechanisms, electrical control and a range of materials, including food.
- We use a creative curriculum guided by our online curriculum platform – Cornerstones; to provide challenging and enjoyable learning. The programme of study is supported by a clear skills and knowledge progression. This ensures that designing and making skills and technical knowledge are built on year by year and sequenced appropriately. Our curriculum is designed and adapted to suit the needs of our children and is therfore constantly evolving as the needs of our pupils do.
- We place emphasis in the skills of interacting well, personal development and practising the skills of mental well-being and the retrieval of knowledge via our Knowledge Organisers.
- A rigorous assessment process is in place to monitor and track children's progress allowing for both support and challenge.
We ensure the children at All Saints:
- Enjoy their learning and develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and safely.
- Progress well across the school building and applying a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users.
- Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others and accept challenges.
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
Ultimately, a high-quality Design and Technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of the nation.
- Should you wish to find out more about D&T at All Saints, please in the first instance approach your child’s teacher via email. If necessary, they may direct you towards the D&T Manager, Mrs Blackman.
- We are always looking to improve links with the community so if you feel you may have connections with an industry that could support the teaching and learning of D&T make sure we know about it!
- As always, if you have the opportunity to cook with your child(ren) at home, this will support them when learning about nutrition and how to cook.
- Curriculum challenges are another great way for children to showcase their creativity. Look out for these during the year.